Tuesday, December 28, 2021

The Best of the Blog 2021


Another shitty year is ending in another COVID winter but that doesn't mean I can't engage in some flagrant navel gazing. Here's the best stuff I managed to write in this awful year. 

I am probably proudest of this examination of mall culture and why we long for it that I published over at Tropics of Meta.

This summer I listened to and reviewed every single Bob Dylan album. The link takes you to all the revalent posts. 

A peak into my current research project. 

This has got to be my favorite of things I've written trying to get at the lived culture of neoliberalism. Also a nostalgia bomb for your Gen Xers out there.

On how the failed revolutions of 2020 mirror the failed revolutions of 1848. Welcome to the violent restoration, folks. 

Both the book and the film are interesting to think about as commentaries on how history moves.

My reflection on the 20th anniversary of 9/11.

On why Americans don't even want to solve the pandemic or other problems as long as the supply of cheap shit keeps flowing.

I am pretty proud of this analysis of the US Senate and its role in our dysfunctional political system. 

I am one of the few to have nostalgia for this weird time because it coincided with my personal prime. 

On how political progressives have checked out, and the consequences of that.

I wrote this in the aftermath of 1/6, seeing in plenty of conservatives similar behavior to Germans willing to overlook some things back in 1933.

My Rush Limbaugh obit.

Dig deeper and you will find that the master of 80s schmaltz makes for uneasy listening.

I wrote a few dispatches from the teaching front last year but this one came right as morale was about to break.

Old Grandad when I'm hard up, Old Fitzgerald when my pockets are full.

Commentary on maybe the most stimulating book I read last year. 

I've been trying to sound the alarm about this conflict for some time now.

On how watching old episode of this show kept me sane.

A trip upstate with my parents back in June revealed a lot about where the country was headed.

Some sad thoughts on my spiritual estrangement from the land of my birth. 

On the movie that helped me reconnect with my love of teaching right before the school year started.

Getting back into philosophy in the pandemic has been a great help for me.

No comments: