Tuesday, January 11, 2022

New Order, "Procession" (Track of the Week)

Up until this week we have not had much of a winter here in New Jersey. The unseasonable warmth did not lift my spirits much because it only reminded me of climate change's harsh reality. This week's ice and freezing cold are thus ironically comforting.

As I often to admit on this blog, my music listening habits are extremely seasonal in nature. Just as the holidays give us comfort in their regularity and ritual, my soul demands that I listen to New Order in the dead of winter, especially their early singles and albums. The frosty synths, whispy melodica, and strangely melodic bass seem perfect for these bitter weeks of cold darkness. December is the bearable winter month because of all the holiday fun. Then comes January, with nothing to look forward to that isn't a long way away, with weeks of freezing purgatory to cross to get there.

"Procession" sets the tone right away with its layered synthesizers before Stephen Morris' famously spare drumming kicks things into gear. The first words are "There is no end to this," which is how winter can feel at this time of the year. The music's vibe reminds me of driving the back roads of Nebraska during a snowstorm, the flakes like the notes swirling about reflecting light and beauty. But like trying to drive in the snow on a rural road, there's a note of danger beneath it all. One wrong move and things can go off of the road and into the ditch. I must admit I have careened off of the road this time of year a few times in my life, both metaphorically and literally. 

In the midst of our second COVID winter my fight is gone. Instead of worrying I am just trying to embrace the things that give me comfort. This song is one of them. 

No comments: