Sunday, May 5, 2019

Old Dad's Records 40 (England's Oldest Hitmakers)


Episode #40 of Old Dad's Records is now live. Every tenth episode I try to talk about a cherished record in my collection rather than mining oddities. The news about Mick Jagger's health ailments and the Stones postponing their American tour along with the release of their new compilation had me thinking it was finally time to discuss them in detail on the pod. I start with Devo's cover of "Satisfaction," since shows pretty starkly the evolution of rock music post-punk away from what bands like the Stones were doing. From there I do a deep dive into Beggar's Banquet, the album that started the Stones' golden four album run. Instead of discussing a new song at the end of the episode, I try to defend the band's much-maligned psychedelic period by raving about the song "Citadel" from Their Satanic Majesties Request.

No comments: