Sunday, June 14, 2015

Track of the Week: Belle and Sebastian "I Know Where The Summer Goes"


People like to knock the suburbs, myself including.  However, now that I am living in suburbia I try to make the best of it.  One of the advantages to living here is being able to take a leisurely drive on a Saturday morning though leafy neighborhoods while I feel the summer breeze toss my hair about.  I was doing that yesterday while running some errands while listening to Belle and Sebastian's Push Barman To To Open Old Wounds rarities compilation.  It was a quietly sublime experience, especially when "I Know Where The Summer Goes" came on.

It's a low-key, quiet song with little organ swells and some yearning strings.  Stuart Murdoch sings it in his high, almost strained style, giving it a frail, human touch.  Despite coming from dark and rainy Scotland, I find Belle and Sebastian to be some of my favorite summertime music.  Its languid quality reminds me of a gentle wind blowing through the curtains on a sunny June day.  It also fits those aimless drives I love best, when I'm more interested in enjoying the scenes as they pass by than actually getting somewhere.

No comments: