Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Introducing Neil Young Spring

I have mostly been writing over at my Substack and have been neglecting this more venerable space. Over there I wrote about the joy of reading Ulysses and the sorry state of social trust after COVID. I have been searching for a series to keep me writing over here, where I am more likely to let my freak flag fly. In the past I used full run-downs of Dylan and Springsteen albums to inspire me, and this year I figured I would devote spring on this blog to Neil Young.

Why Neil Young, apart from him being another legacy classic rock artist with a massive catalog? Well, Neil has been in the news. He is back on tour with Crazy Horse, and he has also ended his Spotify boycott. With his music more available again, I thought it would be great to give it all an evaluation. If I get a chance to see him live, this would be especially fruitful. 

I also want to add that I am one of the weirdos who subscribes to Neil's Archives site. This site allows you to hear his entire catalog of music with vastly improved sound and access to stuff you can't get elsewhere. I appreciate Young's independent-mindedness and his genuine desire to put out streaming music that sounds better. than what we get now. This also means that my series will cover EVERYTHING. I'm on break now, so get ready for the first installments to drop!

No comments: