Thursday, December 31, 2020

My Best Writing of 2020

Another year come and gone, and as exceptional as this year has been, I am still going to give you all a year's best of my stuff. Please forward it to editors and/or eccentric millionaire patrons.

Radiohead's 21st Century Soundtrack

Maybe my favorite piece of the year. Radiohead were the prophets of our age.

How a Film Flop from 1991 Explains 2020

This piece on Wim Wenders' Until the End of the World is one I think I will keep coming back to.

John Le Carré, Patron Saint Of Disillusioned Academics

I wrote this before his death. RIP to a great one.

Hotel Floors, Truck Stop Parking Lots, Train Stations at 2AM and Other Mundane Adventures

This piece got rejected by a fancy publication but I think it's great. I miss travel so much.

Where Were You in '73?

My piece on nostalgia in the 70s for Tropics of Meta. I am also very proud of this one.

Letter on Local Housing Segregation

In the midst of the Black Lives Matter protests I got this letter published on the local news site calling out the resistance to denser and more affordable housing in my community.

Some Historical Metaphors for This School Year

My favorite post on teaching in the pandemic.

Embrace the Suck 

The wisdom that has allowed me to survive.

Pictures at a Cataclysm

Why Kandinsky's Improvisation 30 still moves me.

It's About More Than Just The Textbooks

I should write more about pedagogy, this is a piece I wrote about the need for a broader debate over what goes into our history classes.

Teaching High School Debate Differently

More pedagogy.

Fleetwood Mac, "Dreams"

Wow, even before this song went viral again later in the year I wrote about it back in January. I also *sob* wrote about the pleasures of bars and jukeboxes. Little did I know...

Going to the AHA as an Ex-Academic

Some tweets I wrote about my return to the AHA got some attention and new Twitter followers. I ended up enjoying the AHA experience far more with all the pressure off of me.

A Guide to Bloomberg Country

Since I work on the Upper West Side I have insight into the Bloomberg base. Remember when he ran for president?

Zen and the Art of Opening Wax Packs

Old packs of baseball cards were a needed comfort this year.

Opening Day

Speaking of baseball, here's a poem inspired by the game and the early days of the pandemic.

My Hear is Far Away

Another poem, one that I still feel.

My iPod of Hopes and Dreams

Another pandemic moment was digging out my old iPod.

The Heart of the Matter

One of my better rants.

The Speech I Want Joe Biden to Give

I'm still available, Joe.

Down By the Seaside

The first day I ventured back to the beach was an emotional one.

Why Sorcerer Is a Great Quarantine Film

My favorite classic film discovery of the year.

Give Us Social Care, Not Self Care

The call is still unheeded.

Thoughts on Reaganland

Perlstein's latest was my favorite read of the year.

America is More Wilhelmine Than Weimar

As a historian of 19th century Germany I have to prove my relevance, you know.

Why a Landslide of "Rebuke" Was Never Coming

My post-election analysis.

A Reflection on the Plague Year (Apologies to Daniel Defoe)

Well, this is where I get it all out of my system. Let's hope 2021 is better.

No comments: